A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after shots were fired at a cemetery following the funeral of a well-known Manchester man.
The funeral of Clive Pinnock, dubbed ‘Mr Ibiza’ took place in Gorton yesterday.
Mr Pinnock, 38, died after a collision between a green Kawasaki motorbike he was riding and a BMW on Hyde Road on Wednesday April 8.
But at around 7pm, police were called with reports of gunshots, where police said “several gatherings” connected to the funeral were taking place.
The Manchester Evening News learned a man walked into the crowd and opened fire before he was slashed with a knife. The MEN understands he suffered serious face lacerations.
Police say the injured man was found on nearby Waterhouse Road with knife wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment.
The 34-year-old was later arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
Police chiefs said they made an earlier decision not to intervene and break-up huge gatherings taking place in relation to the funeral as ’emotions were high.’
In a statement on Friday evening, GMP said evidence of gunshots has been retrieved from the scene and a cordon remains in place there today.
The arrested man has since been discharged from hospital and has been taken into in custody for questioning by detectives.
There have been so far been no reports of any other injuries.
Senior Investigating Officer Detective Inspector Claire Moss, said: “Whilst we currently have a man in custody I want to make it very clear that our investigation does not stop here.
“We are progressing a variety of forensic and CCTV opportunities to make sure that those responsible are brought to justice.
“I would appeal to anyone who has any information to please get in touch and help us, as even the smallest detail can assist our enquiries.”
Earlier in the day, images posted on both Facebook and Twitter showed dozens of people lining roads and stood side-by-side as Mr Pinnock’s funeral cortege passed by, against the social distancing rules introduced amid the Covid-19 pandemic.
In a further statement, GMP said they had spoken to Mr Pinnock’s immediate family beforehand to remind them of the guidelines.
And they say they due to ‘high tensions’ among mourners they made a decision not to intervene unless wider public safety was put at risk.
They also praised others across the region who had lost loved ones amidst the pandemic but who had observed the guidelines and not gathered in large numbers
Superintendent Rebecca Boyce from GMP’s City of Manchester division, said: “We were made aware of several gatherings taking place yesterday in Gorton in relation to a funeral.
“In the lead up to the funeral, officers engaged with the immediate family of the man who had sadly lost his life to explain the government guidelines and to discuss details of their plans.
“A careful assessment was then made about the policing approach to any gatherings associated with the funeral.
“Our overriding priority was to ensure that the wider public were kept safe.
PULLED FROM: manchestereveningnews.co.uk